SUNDAY

  • 9:45 am       Sunday School
  • 11:00 am     Worship Service
  • 6: 00 pm      Evening service

WEDNESDAY

  • 7:00 pm       Prayer Meeting
   

 

Find us on
facebook


  • - We are followers of Christ

  • - We are Reformed and classically Protestant

  • - We have traditional worship, worldview teaching, and family focus

  • - We promote Christian community

 

Do you want more information on the Orthodox Presbyterian denomination? Click here to visit the main denomination website.

 

 


   OUR HISTORY

The History of Calvary Orthodox Presbyterian Church

In 1938, Robert McCullough sent a letter asking all who were interested in starting a church in Schenectady to meet at his home for prayer and discussion. Shortly afterward, ten charter members founded Calvary Orthodox Presbyterian Church. The church called Raymond M. Meiners, a new seminary graduate and a friend of the McCulloughs, as their first pastor.

Calvary OPC has always placed high priority on evangelism and missions. The early years of the church saw a quick and dramatic increase in membership, primarily due to the number of new believers coming to faith in Christ. By 1945, Calvary OPC ran a number of community-oriented missions, including a summer camp, a Vacation Bible School program, and a Machen League for youth.

The church met for a year in the basement of the Civic Playhouse in downtown Schenectady, but in 1939, they moved to a building owned by the city of Schenectady which had been used as a police station. In 1943, they bought the building and renovated it in time to host the 1944 spring meeting of the Presbytery of New York & New England.

Ten member of the church served in the armed forces in World War II, including two who were wounded. The pastor and many in the congregation also participated in a disciple-by-mail program to aid the spiritual life of those in the military. Three of those soldiers mentored by the pastor entered ministry after the war.

In the 1950's, the expansion of the congregation caused the church to consider a building program. Several options were debated, but the congregation unanimously voted to stay in their current building and begin construction on an addition on the large church lot. The groundbreaking ceremony was held in 1959, and the new sanctuary and fellowship hall were dedicated in 1960.

In 1976, Rev. Stuart Jones was called as assistant pastor. Rev. Raymond Meiners retired in 1980, having served as pastor of Calvary OPC for 42 years. It is believed that his was the longest pastoral tenure in the Orthodox Presbyterian denomination at that time.

Rev. Stuart Jones continued to supply the pulpit of Calvary OPC for two more years after the retirement of Rev. Meiners, and then he accepted a call to Baltimore.

In 1982, the church called Rev. H. Carl Shank as pastor. He served until 1988, and then was followed by Rev. John Mallin, and then Rev. BJ Gorrell in 1992. In 2001, Rev. Gorrell resigned to accept another call, and the church invited Rev. Tom Trouwborst to serve as pastor. Rev. Trouwborst has now been the second longest-serving pastor of Calvary Orthodox Presbyterian Church.

The church continues to seek new ways to serve the community. In all of these, we seek to glorify God and share the gospel with the community of Schenectady, New York. We look forward to the future, trusting in the faithfulness of our Lord.

... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 1:6

 

anniversary

Calvary OPC's 20th Anniversary - 1958

 

building

Building the new addition - 1960

 

meiners

Rev. Meiners retirement - 1980

 

trouwborst

Rev. Trouwborst and family - 2006



 
   Calvary Orthodox Presbyterian Church    •   1230 Rugby Road    •   Schenectady, New York    • 12308-2400
Phone (518) 377-0801   •   Email CalvaryOPCNY@verizon.net
   •   Pastor Tom Trouwborst 
 
©2016 Calvary OPC